The words lettuce and salad are practically interchangeable since most salads are made predominantly with the green crispy leaves of lettuce. Most varieties of lettuce exude small amounts of a white, milky liquid when their leaves are broken. This ‘milk’ gives lettuce its slightly bitter flavor and its scientific name, Lactuca sativa since Lactuca is derived from the Latin word for milk
Health Benefits of Lettuce
- All lettuce is a good source of chlorophyll and vitamin K.
- Lettuce is very good for dieters because it is very low in calories.
- Lettuce is a good source of Iron which is the most active element in the body therefore it must be replenished frequently to meet any sudden demand of the body such as the rapid formation of red blood corpuscles in heavy loss of blood.
- Lettuce magnesium content has exceptional vitalizing powers especially in the muscular tissues, the brain and the nerves.
- The juice of lettuce combined with carrot and spinach juice is very helpful for maintaining the normal color of the hair.
- Lettuce is beneficial in the treatment of insomnia as it contains a sleep inducing substance.
- Lettuce may also help treat the following problems; acid indigestion, anemia, arthritis, catarrh, circulatory problems, colitis, constipation, cough, diabetes, gastritis, gout, insomnia, irritable bowel, obesity, sexual addiction, stress, tuberculosis, ulcers and urinary tract diseases.